Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Lessons from a Virgin

I've seen offensive movies that I can't necessarily recommend. Many of these had no redeeming qualities, but there were a few surprising exceptions.

In particular, I'm talking about The 40-Year Old Virgin. (It's old by now, so I won't put my spoiler alert in all caps. But consider yourself warned. I plan on discussing the plot.)

The movie was a blur of perverse humor and f-bombs. A bunch of oversexed dudes discover their co-worker is (gasp) a virgin. They do their best to convert him to their womanizing ways.

In the end, they learn from him rather than the other way around. This isn't surprising as storytelling goes. It's good writing.

The surprising part is that in this sex-obsessed day and age characters learn something from a virgin.

What was the lesson, anyway? Sex isn't everything.

Maybe having a message like that is the only way to offend nowadays.

No comments: