Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Cardboard Testimonies

A few family members have shared this video they saw on youtube called "Cardboard Testimonies." Individuals come up to a stage holding a piece of cardboard telling the "before" side of their testimonies, then they flip to the "after" side to much applause. Some emotional song about God's love plays in the background for emphasis.

I enjoyed seeing the many ways God has helped people. In that sense, it was effective.

In another sense, the video irritated me. I kept wondering, who are these people? Are these their testimonies, or friends', or someone's they read a book about once? The fact that I never spent time with these people left me feeling, well, disconnected. I wanted to hear their stories, not read generalized labels.

I'm not saying this can't be powerful or effective, because in some ways it was. But I wanted to meet these people, to see how their stories continue. It felt incomplete.

The problem with cardboard is that it's two-dimensional.

No comments: