Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Checklist

I've had a personal goal for some time that I wouldn't whine about something if I'm not willing to do something about it. I can say it's going well, but that's with a bit of lying involved. For the most part, I'm at least breaking even.

The funny thing is, I have quite a few strong convictions that I'm prevented from doing anything about. These aren't just good things, either. They're full-blown, "someone should do something and yes I realize someone may be me" burdens. I rant and rave, I look into doing something about it, and I can't. It tends to put a damper on my checklist.

Coffee is a good example. I recently felt burdened that my purchases should reflect God's love for others, and buying coffee that actually helps the people who grow the beans would be part of that. Coffee is a very substantial purchase for me, if for some reason you are a stranger who doesn't know. That would be a great way to live out the difference He makes, right?

Wrong. They don't sell fair trade coffee in Korea. I could order from the US, but then we'd be flirting with the poverty line ourselves. We could always join the farmers after that, but I like the classroom hours.

If I'm wrong, I pray the burdens would be lifted. If I'm right, I pray for the ability to do something about it. Therein lies the issue.

Going back, God gave me quite a few burdens over the years without the current means to do anything about it. Stuff White People Like identified awareness as one of those things. I believe He uses that, once we add agonizing and prayer to the mix.

In the end, I stand by my general no whining rule. Minus the checklist.

No comments: