Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Darwin's Manners

It's the end of the school day and I'm watching my assigned bus to make sure no one kills each other or eats on the bus. One student, to avoid doing the latter,eats oranges outside the bus. I remind her that the peels would have to come home with her before being thrown out, since once you're on the bus bla bla bla. She grins and looks around the playground with upraised arm, stops at my urging and then looks around for good hiding places on the bus.I encourage with a "Don't even think about it". The student responds by silently returning to her seat and placing the peels in an older student's hand. I see this, and the following exchange occurs.

Me: You're too nice.
Older student: Is that a bad thing?
(Crickets)
Me: I don't think I want to answer that.

Part of me says yes, it can be. Yet another part tells the former part to shut up because it doesn't know what it's talking about. Yes, both parts are mean,or at least one is open to meanness and I realize that may not be a good thing. In my defense, I'm from New York.

However it's said, I think people like the older student may be stronger than we give them credit for. Some may see kindness as weakness, but I'm not so sure. And if you disagree,you can shut up. Sorry. New York.

No comments: