Sunday, July 20, 2008

Meanwhile, in the Real World

We just got back from the States, and it's good to be home. I don't know why, but understanding everything people are saying starts to creep me out after a while. One or two words per sentence is comfortable.

While in the States, I learned there are many things we need to be afraid of. Like Obama taking over with Muslims. And immigrants. And gay rights. I'm not sure why, but we need to be afraid of them. So I think ultimately we should be prepared for an invasion by Muslim immigrant interior designers and hairdressers. At least we have our priorities straight.

Regardless of the fear issue, we had a nice, brief visit with family and friends. I'll leave the connection between nice and brief up to interpretation.

Once we arrived in Korea, we were in for a few surprises. First, the cab drivers refused to take us back to our place from the bus terminal with our luggage. Since it was raining, we decided walking wasn't a great option. So we called our school's director and graciously woke him up to ask him for a ride. He drove over, and we loaded his van, then we made our way home.

After he dropped us off and we unloaded the van, we noticed the door wouldn't open. The top lock was missing, and the other one was thoroughly warped. Beka chased down the van, and we loaded up the van to go to a hotel.

Until the following afternoon, we were tourists. We enjoyed the comfort of the hotel, and wandered around our familiar surroundings without a real home. Unfortunately, we didn't take any pictures. We're not very good tourists.

In the meantime, people at work were getting a hold of our landlord. After he received a few circular answers, our boss prepared us for the possibility of staying another night. We had air conditioning, so we weren't too distressed.

Thankfully, the locksmith showed up around noon. Soon we were able to open the door and discover how unsuccessful the intended thieves were. Everything was as we had left it.

I'm still not quite sure what I have learned from this experience. All I've got so far is "tourist hotels make killer omelets." Prove me wrong. I dare you.

No comments: