Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Thoughts on Worship

The topic of worship has been on the brain a lot. I've been talking to friends and it's been on their brains as well. All of us in some way feel worship has been constrained to just a few things. Because of this, it's less than effective.

While it's fun being vague, I'll poop my own party and clarify the paragraph above. God is creative, right? Shouldn't worship of Him reflect a creativity? But it's boxed in to once a week, singing songs and listening to someone else speak for a long period of time.

Sometimes we get adventurous, copy and paste that experience, and have it more than once a week.

Don't get me wrong, some, many, even genuinely worship that way, and it's energizing for them. God bless you, whoever you are.

I think we as Christians simplified it too much. I enjoy listening to music and singing, and inspiring speeches can inspire. But I can't consider these things my primary source of worship. I talked to some friends lately and listed some things that I do.

1. Hanging out with people, especially those society usually overlooks. I do so with purpose, and especially when I can look back with joy at conversations and experiences that were completely Spirit-led.
2. Reading. It can challenge my faith or encourage me in it. St. Augustine's Confessions is an endless source of encouragement, but books like The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime challenge my perceptions of faith and logic. I guess for that matter thinking too much can be a form of worship for me as well.
3. Writing. I've been keeping a spiritual tension journal, jotting down spiritual struggles. My faith comes out stronger for it, so I would consider that a form of worship.
4. Laughter. I can't get enough of it.
5. Acts of service. I didn't get it when I was told that running power point didn't count as helping in the church. There's a reason I like shows like Dirty Jobs.

The list could probably go on forever. I'm sure there are more I haven't even discovered yet. I'm just glad He brought me this far.

No comments: