Monday, September 1, 2008

Crawl to China

We went to China over Labor Day weekend because we could. We didn't actually crawl, as the flight went quite smoothly. But the song title reminded me of how long it took me to finally visit this country. I originally thought this was where I was going to be. Six years ago I was ready to spend a year there.

The interesting part was as Beka's uncle and aunt pointed out changes since the Olympics in Beijing, we were noting a few (not many, but a few) similarities with our current home in Korea. Tall buildings and roads newly and quickly built, and slowly rising prices of formerly cheap items. We thought a pizza was quite good, but we later learned it was getting more expensive lately.

Over the next few days, I hope to share some of the experience we felt. It was amazing to see changes, similarities, differences and an unfinished theme park vaguely reminiscent of Disney World. And yes, we saw the Wall.

Until then, look up Christian metal, keyword tourniquet, and enjoy the atypical but legitimately rocking song.

No comments: