Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Book and Movie Review: Watership Down

Honestly, this is the third and last time I'll mention this book. I borrowed it from our school so I kept having to remind myself to finish reading it and return it at some point. What better way than posting said reminders on the world wide web? And don't say post its, because I keep losing the @^@$&@& things.

WD is one of those books I wish I was forced to read in high school.(Don't get me started on that one.) If I wanted to oversimplify it I'd call it a cross between Lord of the Rings (fortunately in one,smaller volume) and Animal Farm. Only the farm is made entirely of rabbits, and... oh, well. That's why I don't oversimplify.

There was plenty to enjoy about this book. First, it's an adventure based in everyday elements. If you get past the talking animal part, the rest of the story has an earthy element to it. I hadn't even bothered making a green book list, as I don't remember many worth mentioning. This would make the cut.

Second, it has a human story to it. Apparently, Richard Adams started telling his daughters the stories to entertain them on long trips. The stories were based on his experiences in WWII, and it shows. The elements of bravery, friendship, loyalty and even simple faith shine in the best moments.

I read up on this book, so to speak, and found out it was accused of being misogynist when it was first published. In its defense, I'll say this is only because it was published in the 1970s. If Tolkien had written it in the 1950s (and the oversight of female characters in his writing is comparable) there wouldn't have been such a fuss. This was just an author writing about what he knew, and(like Tolkien)he didn't know women that well. It happens.

I made the mistake of watching the movie around the same time I read the book. Movies go faster. Much faster. Oops.

The animated movie was made shortly after the book and is surprisingly well-made. The expressions and backgrounds rival some of my favorite Miazaki movies. If I could go back and change my green movies list, I would. Maybe it can take Shane's spot.

Nope, I'm lazy. Shane stays.

I should put a warning here. Watership Down may be animated and PG, but it's at least as violent as the book. Neither are made for young kids.

Another warning. The movie is good, but it's better and makes more sense if you read the book first. Some changes were made for time purposes, as we've yet to see a three hour animated movie. Still, those changes make for some nice head-scratchers here and there. Overall, the movie gets the best parts right.

Yet another warning. It doesn't have much to do with water or anything to do with sinking ships, so don't expect rabbits in a sinking ship and get all disappointed. Now you know.

I've read a lot of non-fiction lately, so this was refreshing. It reminds me that some of the best fiction can be more true than a lot of non-fiction out there. As Stephen King said, it's "the truth in the lie".

No comments: