Sunday, March 7, 2010

The Oscar Grouch

The Academy Awards usually make me cranky or at least disappointed, but this time while some of their nominations seemed insanely weak, the winners make sense. I haven't seen the Hurt Locker, but I know it has its reputation for a reason and look forward to seeing it. I think Up should have won because Pixar movies (with one or two exceptions) are that good, but the US hasn't reached that level of security yet. Yes, in the age of Simpsons people still see cartoons as kids stuff. Still, a nomination says a lot; this is a great victory for animated rights. Maybe in a decade or so we'll see Buzz Lightyear stepping up to recieve a big kids award. Or even get invited. Baby steps, though. (poignant pause) Baby steps.

Actually, I want to see most of the movies on the list,The Blind Side included. Stupid work. Why do you have to be so important?

No comments: