Monday, March 8, 2010

Reality Check and Music Review

Haven't written about much non-fictional lately, (unless you count reality TV, which I don't) so I'm writing a list of stuff I actually did lately to make me feel better. Cause that's what matters, me feeling better.

1. I started reading a lot of books about education, and recently a book and material about ESL. I still give others/myself a hard time when they say I'm going to study ESL ("Study 'teaching ESL!'" I speak English good), but the truth is I love it, and God's used some good books to reinforce its value. I might have to work on my bar tending skills while I save up some cash for my classes, but whatever it takes, it's nice to know it's toward something worthwhile. Unless I start to like bar tending, which is possible. Or Barnes and Noble. Or whatever.

2. I had a student get so loud he set off his own hearing aid. He hollered, it rang, then he said "Oh" and adjusted it accordingly. He settled down a bit after that.

3. I bought fair trade coffee again. It's expensive even for fair trade, but isn't showing everyone at the cashier counter you're a good person worth it? I think so.

4. I realized I'm a bad, bad man. Those of you who know me well may think I'm being sarcastic, but behind this calm exterior lies a boiling pot of rage. I made it a goal to never yell, which I usually do quite well with. But the result is like that movie character who congratulates himself for walking into a bar, fighting, and not drinking anything. Sure, he didn't get drunk, but that wasn't the problem. That's me and cynicism. Or verbal knives in any shape and form. But I don't yell.

However it reveals itself, my default emotion is anger. I admitted it's a problem and made apologies where necessary. That may be skipping a few steps here and there, but oh well. I'm not sure I'll ever know what that verse about calling someone fool and being in danger of hellfire really means, but I know angry words have hurt a hell of a lot of people and that at least is motivation enough. It'll stop.

5. I had a great weekend going on a series of dates with my wife. We need to do this more often. Married couples out there, do this more often. If you don't, bad things will happen. Or you'll get bored, which is actually one of those bad things. Enjoy (your beverage of choice) together.

6. I also met up with good, like minded friends around that time. I feel clique-ish saying words like like-minded, but in the midst of diverse friendships I do enjoy having friends who understand what I'm talking about. Thanks, friends.

7. We're packing up boxes and thinking about reverse culture shock. US, please be kind.

8. I made something delicious using mushrooms, rice, cut up garlic and butter. Yes, I'm bragging. It was good.

9. I got a couple of CDs after I thought of how much I enjoyed select songs from them. Marvin Gaye's What's Going On was definitely worth more than just the title song. A few of the songs in places blended together like one long song, which made for a good effect in driving home his themes. It sounds good without being shallow or gimmicky. This is pop I can listen to.

I also got a greatest hits CD of David Bowie from the late 70s, or pre-Labyrinth era. I could still hear the Goblin King in some of the songs growing up in the 80s, but the original version of "Heroes" was worth it. I've talked about how that defines a lot of my feelings this year in a previous post, so I won't blabber about it now. But it's still reminding me of a lot of good things, and that's needed as ever.

Are Bowie's other songs worth it? "Golden Years" is still fun, as are a few others, like "Fame" (if you listen to it every once and a while) but dated numbers like 1984 (Disco? Worse. Wannabe disco. Yikes) make one cringe if one isn't a disco-loving cartoon character. Or maybe especially if one is. One of those.

Whatever the case, my wife and I are following Him towards a gradual goal and the rest is just soundtrack.

No comments: