Saturday, November 29, 2008

After Turkey

Some of the best Thanksgiving thoughts occurred to me the day after. They actually had nothing to do with turkey, but quite a bit on the thankfulness issue.

I joined a few fellow teachers and some Korean college students on a tour of some sights in Korea. I had seen In Sa Dong and Korean palaces before, but the visting part was nice. Walking around a shopping area without actually buying anything is nice, too. There's a sort of freedom to it. Take that, shoppers.

As usual when in In Sa Dong (that sounds funny) our group had the opportunity to climb an outdoor stairway to the top. This affords that great opportunity to look down on all the other shoppers and tourists. Literally, not figuratively,of course.

From In Sa Dong, we strolled to a Korean palace the name of which I can't remember. I forget the names of places immediately after visiting. It's my tradition.

The professor of the students met us with more students. He gave us reports on who passed exams, who got a job, and how much more they would make than us. Thanks for that.

He later added that money isn't , nor should it be everything.

Their field was engineering, so seeing structures with them was fun. "Don't you have questions (for the tour guide)?" the professor asked me.

Not really, I admitted.
He had plenty of questions, but most likely she wouldn't know. I can't say I blame her.

As we strolled through former government halls he asked me if I thought kings were happy. I didn't know.

"I don't think they were," he stated. A glance at history suggests he has a point.

On the way home I thought of that statement, kings, wealth, contentment, and so on. I remembered the previous day's obligatory "I'm thankful for" spiel and the thought I refused to say out loud for fear of embarrassment. At this moment it seemed to make a lot more sense.

I'm thankful for enough.

No comments: