Sunday, November 16, 2008

Real-Life Goings on

I don't post my update letters, and the last few posts seem to indicate a life full of movies and pop-culture lists. So, I felt the need to recall the latest happenings of the last couple months. Not to defend my honor, mind you, just to let you know that I'm not just lounging back on a sofa somewhere and losing the ability to walk on my own (more than usual anyway). Here it is, a list of real-life stuff.

1. Since my last trip to the grandma house, I decided to focus mainly on that and future clean-up events as my areas of community service outreach. Another teacher agreed to oversee outreach activities with a local orphanage/home for unwed mothers. We had our first drive this month, and so far it's going well. Our first visit is soon to follow. I look forward to seeing more happen with this.

2. Since I read Too Small to Ignore and realized the need to value children as God does, I've talked to others and confirmed I'm not alone. It's encouraging to hear of family members sponsoring children, as well as encouraging their children to take part in the process. My parents are also desiring to start a children's ministry in their church. It's funny how these things work.

I also realized the weight of the jobs we as teachers here have. My own attitude of gratefulness (or lack thereof) could cause more for good or harm than first glance can tell. I've made it a point to communicate a spirit of gratefulness as much as possible, and more than that.

3. I've started using less paper and water. Integrity is a big issue in my mind, and it's about the little things. Truth, honor, respect, wisdom, cooperation, the list goes on, are all connected. Hopefully and prayerfully when I take good care of the things around me I'm showing a respect for others and ultimately the One who created us and everything we have. Also hopefully I'm teaching others to show respect as they follow my example. It's also forced me to become more creative as I think of ways I as a teacher can use less paper. You really can do a lot with a little.

4. I'm going back to India with a small group for spring break. The school decided on three missions trips this year (one three-week trip in the summer) and India made the cut. I look forward to seeing Priority One once again and noting how much has and hasn't changed in the past year. Yay! We get to go back!

Our school had a fall festival recently. Our business manager helped with a raffle, selling chances to win a cheesecake. The proceeds will go to the missions trips.

I chuckled as she was reading names and phone numbers on the tickets in the jar. Included among the entire staff were the guy who delivers water, our paper suplier, the milk man...

Everyone had purchased a ticket.

"Anyone who walked in the door today", she grinned.

The raffle raised over $500 for the trips.

5. I'm seeing this gig as a ministry. I know it sounds odd, but to be honest, the feeling comes and goes at times. I think about how teaching ESL could be a ministry, SOMEWHERE ELSE. Africa somewhere, or even North Korea. I mean, Westerners and South Koreans are too well off, even with a recession. They don't need it, right?

Then God shuts me up. He'll allow me to see another story about educational pressures and suicide rates, not SOMEWHERE ELSE, but right stinking here. Stop your whining, Matt. You're here, not to do, but to be. And you're in the right place.

That being the case, I have to go shut up and be. Or be, anyway.

No comments: