Thursday, March 5, 2009

Some Good Thoughts

This is a response to the previous post, so if you didn't read that yet this won't make a whole lot of sense. Some non believer read through the Bible,yada yada, he wrote a book about it. I didn't read the book, so I'm responding to the article he wrote.

Some thoughts:

1. He enjoyed reading the Bible. He called himself a "Bible-thumper" and decided everyone should read it. He didn't whine about how hard it is to concentrate on it or to find time to read it, or how boring it can be. He appreciated it.

In Average Joe(Joe could be short for Josephine)Christian's defense, we could say the Bible was easier for him because he wasn't trying to apply it to his life. I concluded that's a cop out. I enjoy good literature (fiction and non) on its own merits, not because I'm trying to learn something from it. But I do learn, and the fact that I like what I'm reading has a lot to do with it. I get absorbed into good writing, and usually research more about it because I want to. I think we've forgotten how to really read.

2. His reading didn't affect his beliefs. I'm not surprised, as reading any book, even the Scriptures, doesn't have power alone. Only the Holy Spirit can give understanding.

3. His reading made him angry in places. He acknowledged questions about God's nature are easier to answer in the person of Christ. But, he mentions, he can't believe in Christ.

There's quite a bit more to mention, but I'm still processing it. Why are you asking me to type out half-thoughts? Shame.

No comments: