Thursday, February 21, 2008

Music for a bad mood

Now that Bob Dylan is old and famous he can do whatever he wants. I'm thinking about this because I currently have his song "Ain't Talkin'" from Modern Times stuck in my head. He's earned the right to sing what he wants, and how he wants to.

The song is fairly long and moody, along with the story it sort of tells. It's haunting and speaks of revenge, suffering and desires more than bordering on hopeless. It has a mysterious quality as well, since we don't know exactly what it's talking about.

The music has a haunting minor sound to it, up until the last note, which is major. The lyrics don't suddenly get uplifting, but the last note does.

I listen to the song when I'm brooding every now and then. I brood with the mysterious protagonist as I wait for the strum. It almost seems tacked on, but it's there nonetheless.

I like that awkward strum. It encourages me. As frustrating and confusing as the situation seems, somewhere there's a strum of hope. Just a strum, but it's there.

No comments: