Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Those Who Don't Learn From History Fair...

I had the opportunity to judge part of a History Fair at our school a while back. When I was done forgetting what I learned about Lewis and Clark, Ben Franklin and friends, I went upstairs to see what my ELD students did for their class projects. One in particular caught my attention in the First Grade room. Their theme was "If Jesus came to my house."

I enjoyed reading the sentences next to the little cardboard houses. Most of them talked about playing with Jesus, watching TV with him, or (my personal favorite) teaching him to dance ballet. They'd hang out with Him and share what was important to them.

One student's sentence broke my heart. "If Jesus came to my house I'd show Him my Bible and tell Him I'm a Christian." Jesus, I believe in You. Please get off my back.

The sad part is, it sounded so grown up.

No comments: