Friday, March 7, 2008

Value if Fiction 2: Movies

I know why churches want to show movies. As I said in the previous blog, stories resonate. I remember movies I saw in church ages ago. I wish I could forget, but that's a different story.

Three movies I saw last week reminded me of this. Lars and the Real Girl, There Will Be Blood, and For Your Consideration. The first and last reminded me of the church (how it should be and how much of it tends to be, respectively). The former was a community striving to help a troubled young man even when it meant acknowledging his imaginary friend.

The latter had interviewers asking actors "What have you been doing lately?" When the actors began to talk about their lives, they were cut off with "It was a rhetorical question." It was funny and sad, especially since something close to that has happened more than once in my life. Why do we ask "how are you" when we don't expect an honest answer?

There Will Be Blood is a frightening picture of greed and evil and the connection between them. We watch an oil tycoon slowly slip into madness.

All three movies and countless others could be discussed in churches. But we'd never see them there. For better or worse, I couldn't say. We just wouldn't.

No comments: