Friday, March 7, 2008

The Value of Fiction 1: Writing

I started writing a story today. I'm not sharing it to boast or even to promote it in any way. None of that is interesting, really. How it makes me feel is.

I realized how much I missed writing stories. It's the same reason I enjoy reading novels (or great non-fiction books that read like them) and short stories. It's why Devil in the White City or Life of Pi resonate more than A Purpose Driven Life. There's a power in storytelling.

The ideal "sermon" for me would probably be reading a parable or a narrative from the Bible and sharing about it. There's even value in short stories and books, but I wanted to give credit where it's due first.

Does anyone remember explanations from Sunday school classes (childhood to present)? I'm sure they gave them, but those aren't the parts that stick.

Maybe it's the "show not tell" aspect of writing for me. But I'll take vivid images over explanations any day.

No comments: