Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Balance in Worship

I've decided to update earlier blogs when needed. That's the beauty of growing, you never stay exactly the same. You live and learn, and all of that great cliched stuff.

A few posts back, and before that, I took issue with music as used in worship. I realized my problem as I started listening instead of singing. Then, at times I could even join in.

I don't concentrate on the words or meaning much, especially when there's not much to concentrate on. Listening makes it easier somehow. When I sing words and don't mean them, I feel it can be worse. So sometimes I just listen.

I thought about the concept of taking the Lord's name in vain. I don't believe that has anything to do with saying naughty words. I believe more than ever it concerns saying things you don't mean, especially in relation to Him. Treating His Name lightly takes many forms, and some of them we do habitually on Sundays.

I listen to the music and the meaning of the words. I consider what it means to those around me as well as myself. And sometimes I sing along. This too is a form of worship.

No comments: