Friday, September 5, 2008

China Trip Day 1 Part 3

Beka's uncle and aunt sent us to the Forbidden city in a cab after arming us with a map and three Chinese expressions: "hello," "thank you," and "I don't want it." I kicked those around in my head for the remainder of the trip. Occasionally I actually used them.

It rained half the time we were in the Forbidden city, but it was still fun. Fortunately there were plenty of palaces to provide shelter for the short bursts of rain.

We went to the Temple of Heaven,acknowledged its large size, took pictures of the lovely greenery, and left. Before that, we saw Tiennamen Square, acknowledged its small size, and left. In between the two acknowledgments we took a subway. A first for us was seeing a security bag check area in every subway tunnel. It moved quickly enough, so no complaints here.

We got back to the apartment, ate dinner, and went out with Beka's aunt for a massage. Two muscular Chinese guys and one girl proceeded to beat the snot out of us. We were quiet, so they kept twisting, crushing or punching harder. I was half-prepared to give them my lunch money.

At one point one of the guys twisted my arm behind my back. I kept laughing at that point because I was thinking, "Uncle! Uncle!"

That being said, I felt better the next day.

No comments: