Monday, September 29, 2008

It's not easy being green

Some of you (whoever you are) may read this blog and wonder what my political beliefs are. Of course, I don't ponder the political beliefs of others that often, but that's just me. And I admit I'm weird.

That is the answer, albeit a vague one, but I'll clarify a bit. I can't assign my convictions to one party or the other, so I call myself Independant. Too often I feel like quoting a judge in an excellent movie: "You're both right, and you're both wrong." So choosing the donkey or the elephant becomes problematic. In the end, I know we won't find our Savior in either party, so I don't waste too much time on it.

So if I congratulate one candidate, it's because there's too much slander out there, and it's about time we recognize positives when we see them. If Mccain does a good thing, I'll mention it. The same goes for Obama or Palin or even (gasp) a Clinton who's not even running.

Politically I'm not that liberal. But there's one problem anyone who knows me can spot; my heart bleeds green. I care about the environment and want to take good care of the natural resources around me. That makes me a sizeable blip on the "bleeding heart liberal" radar. Oops.

I grow tired of the arguments and intended mockery of global warming. I believe the flood promise, and that we don't need to fear worldwide flooding. But the argument is beside the point. We don't have any excuse to flush the world around us down the crapper. Living simply and living green is not unreasonable. If anyone presses us on it, we can say that God wants us to take care of what He's given us. Of course we're not driven by fear of global warming or anything else. God hasn't given us a spirit of fear, but of love. I know the reference, but I won't tell you so you can look it up. Yeah, that's it.

In the end, I'm still deciding who to vote for.

I wish recycling was a realistic option in Korea.

No comments: