Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Music Review: Perspective

I haven't talked about music in a while, but I still enjoy it when I can. The closest thing to current I heard in a while is probably The Cat Empire. From what I've heard coming from the radio, that's all you really need.

All that to say, it's nice when a band comes along and shares a new CD with you. It helps when you know the band and happen to like them, but I'll do my best to be objective.

I talked to the lead singer of Station2 a while back as we were all wandering around my old hometown. He was singing something and wanted me to guess what it was. I later figured out it was from the newest Coldplay album. This prompted a conversation about what CDs of theirs we like, etc. We liked all of their CDs up to date. I recalled that the critics didn't.

I think about how music that sounds good lyrically and musically gets ripped apart by critics. How can you look objectively at something as subjective as music?

That being said, here's my review of Perspective, the second CD by Station2.

Having gone from two members to four, Station2 has shown some significant changes in their sound. They showed their influences on their sleeves in their first CD, including Coldplay and Radiohead. Those are good influences to have, so it sounded good.

Perspective shows a progression. I can still say they are influenced by the two bands mentioned above, but in a similar way Muse is influenced by Radiohead. They still maintain their own voice. In Perspective their voice emerges. This results in some pleasant surprises, such as faintly bluesy riffs that set the otherwise standard songs apart. It's good jammin'.

I was also impressed lyrically. "Move", the bookend tracks, seem a challenge first to God, then lastly to us, to, well, move. The second track is the most Psalms-like song Ive heard in probably, oh, let's say ever. Silent and Intercession move us from that wondering "Does everyone see You but me" to "Intercession fights for you". "Barrier", not as strong musically, but powerful lyrically, moves us into belief in Christ. Then the real work begins.

The most daring song stylistically would be "Impressions of Beauty". It's a compliment to a song that tackles a tough subject fearlessly.

The only lyrical disappointment is the song "Eyes on Me." The rest of the tracks do a great job of keeping the focus upward and outward, then this last one slips back into introspective. Besides that, this is definitely worth a listen.

No comments: