Tuesday, October 7, 2008

We're the Morons

The day after my angry millstone rant (a couple of posts back), I called my folks to say hi. Among other family news, they told me the latest about my sister's new baby. They knew whether they would have a boy or a girl. I was on speaker phone, so my four year old niece told me the news. "I'm having a baby sister!" I could hear my parents grin as they said, "She knew it all along."

A while back, my niece was praying for a sister. She has a brother, and they get along, but she really wanted a sister, too. When she found out mommie was pregnant, she knew she was going to have a baby sister. It was that simple.

The wise and cautious adults that we are, we tried to prepare her for the fact that maybe she would have a brother. She wouldn't hear any of it.

I'm humbled as I stand with other rational (for the most part) adults, corrected by a four-year old. Spiritually speaking, we're the morons.

Don't get me wrong, God gave us brains and experiences and He intends for us to use them. But don't argue with the faith of a child.

No comments: