Monday, December 22, 2008

More Thoughts on Taking Comedies Seriously (with thoughts on spirituality)

As I predicted, I forgot about a well-known comedic performance-- in a movie I had just re-watched! I'm too young to be this senile.

The famous performance was of Vinny's girlfriend in My Cousin Vinny. I'll admit I enjoy most movies with a courtroom background anyway, but My Cousin Vinny is profanity-laced, but funny nonetheless.

Also, I have an update to my lament about not seeing any worthwhile comedies lately. We just saw Ghost Town, starring the original Michael Scott from the British version of The Office as an antisocial dentist who sees dead people. There's no way to describe this without making it seem cheesy, but surprisingly enough, it's not. It avoids cheese at all costs, and earns laughs on its own terms. It does has some rough humor, but as that's all dialogue and not fling-poo-at-you based, I find that forgivable.

There is a spiritual dimension to fantasy-based movies as well, as far as it goes. I watch a character trying to convince others that he or she speaks to someone he or she can see but they can't. I don't believe in ghosts, but I do believe in the unseen. Movies like this afford a chance to empathize with the protagonist and (to a more limited degree) to the other characters who can't see or hear what's going on. If nothing else, movies like this could spark some good conversations.

No comments: