Sunday, December 7, 2008

Music Reviews

Every now and then I get a new CD. It's been known to happen. Lately, I had the opportunity to get three, and they're not half bad. They're also kind of connected in a six degrees sort of way.

First, I listened to Radiohead's OK Computer. I've listened to more recent stuff of theirs and enjoyed it, then I heard how much better this one was. I can't say I disagree. I'm glad I didn't hear it first for that reason, or I would have shook my head in disappointment at the others. Shame on you, Radiohead.

The CD's theme is how technology makes us less human in a way. In a present reality of nasty comments and myspace pranks both resulting in suicides, it has a point.

I like the sound of it, but it definitely serves the purpose of the message. It's not uplifting, but it's definitely creative and thought-provoking.

Next, I listened to Coldplay's latest. It's been referred to as a sort of Radiohead lite, but if you don't like the tone I described for OK Computer, that's a good thing. Coldplay tries out some different creative styles which are safe enough to work for them and still be radio friendly. It's better to listen to this one after Radiohead, or anything else less straightforward and catchy. Still, it's Coldplay, and I haven't heard much of theirs I didn't like.

One of the best songs from Coldplay's X&Y CD has to be "Fix You". This is one of the songs covered by Young@Heart, a group whose movie I have yet to see. So I did the next best thing by getting the soundtrack.

If hearing an elderly choir singing rock and pop songs is your idea of entertainment, Young@Heart is a good choice. Their version of the Ramones' "I Wanna Be Sedated" still cracks me up, along with "Staying Alive/I Will Survive" and quite a few others. There are plenty of moments where, like in Johnny Cash's American Recordings, you can almost sense an art form in the covers. It's almost like different interpretations that only improve on but bear little resemblance to the originals. It almost doesn't belong in the "cover song" category, but what can you do.

It's worth a listen, and they don't cover any Radiohead songs, so it's uplifting as well.

No comments: