Sunday, April 19, 2009

Japan: Parting Shot

I just found a news story that reflects on the type of picnic we saw in the parks perfectly.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/from_our_own_correspondent/8002030.stm

It reminds me of one last story. Eventually we got used to how empty the mall near our hotel was, but the first night it was a bit creepy. At one point we waited by an arcade with no one else around but us. One of the games on the outside started making noise and moving around a bit. A drumstick, part of the game, fell to the floor. Only the embarrassment of soiling oneself in public kept me in line.

Later we would get used to shopping around in empty stores. Between that and the hours, we wondered how these places make any money.

That's where I want to end this story. We had fun and stretched our communication skills and tolerance for eating late, but that's not the end of it. We shouldn't forget when we went. There were picnics and drinking and silly giggling, but there were reasons for that. I hope I don't forget.

No comments: