Friday, April 10, 2009

Japan Trip Part 1

We arrived at Incheon airport early enough to grab some breakfast and find a couple of Japanese people worth harassing. We asked for the names of good food there, and they taught us a few. The couple that I remember sounded like "taco yucky" and "economy yucky." I'm not sure about that first one, but the second has a point.

Later, we got on the plane and I faced the usual conundrum when travelling to another country. What language should I use? I settled on "mumble" as I entered and later exited the plane. I'm fluent in "mumble".

We arrived at Osaka and enjoyed Starbucks for a total price of $9 for Beka and I. American Starbucks is cheaper than you think. We would later learn that in Japan, this was a good deal.

We found our shuttle, loaded up, and headed toward our hotel. As we arrived, a helpful recording reminded us to "please enjoy that you bring your belonging with you." I tried to look happier as I grabbed the camera and my backpack. I think the thought of not losing my stuff helped a bit.

We loaded our stuff in our room, enjoyed the view out our windows for a while, then headed down the skywalk that connected to a ginormous mall. It connected to a lot of places, but the mall was where we were going.

On the way to the mall, we met an actual guitar hero. He had a guitar and he's my hero. Well, not exactly my hero. But he sang quite well. I'll pretend he did something cool on the side like fight crime. Then he can be my hero.

We shopped a bit in the mall, searched in vain for things written in Engrish, then found a place to eat. The waiter didn't speak English, but he had an English menu for us. Somehow I ordered the wrong thing. They also had a Korean menu. Maybe I should have used that.

In my defense, I was weak from hunger.

No comments: