Wednesday, April 29, 2009

My Name is Earl

Recently Beka and I started watching the first season of My Name is Earl and laughing quite a bit. It's no Office, but it was a lot less lame than I expected it to be. In the midst of the dumb Raising Arizona meets Me Myself and Irene humor, I was surprised by some hints of insight. Pure coincidence I'm sure, but appreciated nonetheless.

Earl is a petty thief who somehow wins the Lottery one day. Shortly after he's hit by a car. In the hospital, he discovers that Carson Daley came up with this thing called karma. He buys into it, makes a list of everything he did wrong, and proceeds to go about making things right, so he can cross stuff off the list and be a good person.

This is legalism, right? But it also equates to a sort of conversion experience. He realizes he can't hang out with the same people he used to, gets called nasty names and endures whining that he was so much more fun before. Of course, he's still entertaining, or Beka and I wouldn't laugh so much.

He also constantly adds to his list as he realizes things he did wrong that he never even thought about before. Hmmm.

At least in any of the episodes we watched, Christianity is mentioned in passing but not bad mouthed. Earl has to confess to an ex-con how he had wronged him. Fresh out of prison, the guy still has the wild-eyed look until he mentions that he became a Christian. However, he seems ready to return to the old ways when Earl confesses. Quickly Earl asks "What Would Jesus Do?"

The other man pauses, then consults the tatoo of Jesus on his chest.

Here it comes, I thought. Token hypocrisy.

"I forgive you," he states. Later on, we see a much saner looking version of him waving at Earl. In the midst of bizarre tattoo humor, we see a Christian practicing forgiveness on TV. And that makes me smile.

2 comments:

Britt Mooney said...

Dude, I have loved My Name is Earl from day one. I love Jason Lee, so I checked it out from first episode and loved it.

Yeah, Office is better, but I love Earl.

Peace.

mattmm said...

I just added this, but I forgot to mention my favorite part of the whole concept, the fact that the list never seems to get much smaller.