Friday, May 8, 2009

Music Review: Felice Brothers and Snow Patrol

I recently got a collection of Felice Brothers CDs right after getting a Snow Patrol CD. Both make me smile, for different reasons. I don't listen to new music often, so it comforts me to know the efforts weren't wasted.

I'm currently listening to Yonder is the Clock by the Felice brothers. They've been compared to Bob Dylan for their folk/rock style and lyrical storytelling. I would add the nature of the stories also reflect Dylan's style. The songs are all about people who did something regrettable, and who look back on their mistakes. Or as one song puts it

Very soon
I will be
In the deep blue sea
Wrapped in chicken wire
By my own device (Chicken Wire)

At times they remind me of Johnny Cash's songs about prisoners who committed crimes and confess. Only unlike Cash's songs, these don't reach the same point of redemption. Also, they have a vulgar nature at times, so be warned.

The songs are singable, too, but the nature of the stories makes for some unusual outbursts. One song from another CD of theirs speaks of a character in prison for drug possession. Singing a chorus about what he possessed could sound a little funny to one's loved ones. Thankfully, most choruses on Yonder is the Clock are more outburst-friendly. But if you really enjoy a song and get funny looks, you were warned.

Also singable is the new Snow Patrol CD. I don't usually promote pop-rock, and this one is even less rock than pop. That makes it awkward, but oh, well. It sounds good, so I like it.

I decided Snow Patrol is like the Slumdog Millionaire of the music world. It's happy-sounding, shamelessly uplifting (again, sound-wise), yet well-done somehow because of the lack of embarrassment from enjoying it. The last pop-rock CD I could say that about would be U2's Joshua Tree (their last great album, coincidentally). This is no Joshua Tree, but it's smile-worthy. I guess extremely happy endings aren't all bad.

No comments: