Thursday, May 21, 2009

The Old Switcharoo

I touched on the subject of creation in a class of third graders. The point was how we could say God created everything, when people made stuff like bridges, etc. It turned out well, with a slight detour in between. One student brought up dinosaurs and insisted they lived before people. How do you know that? I asked. I know, he replied.

I scratched my head when I realized I was having this conversation with a third grader.

I went back to the original topic, then spoke to this young man on his own. The Bible and the Discovery Channel won't always tell you the same thing, I explained. You need to look at what the Bible says, pray, and decide which one you think is true. And keep asking good questions.

He nodded, most likely surprised to hear this much honesty from a grown-up.

Later I sat in High School study hall while seniors discussed whether it's appropriate to use the word "poop" in a graduation speech. Thankful for the contrast I explained the nuances of implying poop. Poop would remain the star of the conversation for a good five to ten minutes.

If I inverted the grades, the two conversations might sound a little more believable. There's something about Fridays.

No comments: