Friday, May 29, 2009

Steam of Consciousness

I guess if I entitle this blog Randomness and Other Stuff it's assumed stream of consciousness will come into play sooner or later.

C.S. Lewis used to call it "steam of consciousness." He obviously didn't think too highly of it.

C.S. Lewis was a published author. I want to be a published author.

Published authors have to write a lot before they can add the term "published" to their title. It takes discipline.

Principal Strickland from Back to the Future liked discipline. We see in Back to the Future III that fathers taught that word to their sons for generations. "Remember that word." "I will, pa."

Whenever I think of the word discipline, I picture a cranky bald man waiting for someone to screw up so he can get them where he wants them-in detention! The Christianese term is "legalism."

I don't want to be legalistic, but I want to write. So I wrote a short story by giving myself a deadline. I also asked friends to hold me to my deadline. I wanted to do it, so I did it. And I wrote a story. One down, eight to go.

Having a goal and taking steps to move towards it. There's nothing wrong with that. Is the problem that we don't know what we want?

Discipline. I'll remember that word.

No comments: