Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Book Review: Catch 22

I recently wanted to read this novel once I heard it's supposed to be the funniest book written in the English language. Until now, the funniest satire I've read was either Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy or Wild at Heart. Of course only the first one was intentionally funny, so I can't count the second. Still.

Catch 22's blurb was not an exaggeration. It uses satire, slapstick, verbal mahem, over the top bad behavior (including visiting prostitutes and such so yes that counts as a warning to sensitive readers)and even a Road Runner style chase scene. Yes, I said Road Runner. But even that is used to good effect, once you catch the theme.

Yossarian is either the only sane man in a group of lunatics, or the least crazy person, mostly due to the fact that he doesn't want to die. The book argues with a brilliant ripple-effect style that the world we live in is insane, and that much of it is our choice yet somehow out of our control. Or is it? If you don't like the way things are, you can walk away any time you want to. Only you can't. Can you?

This and Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver were extremely well-timed reads for me. PB helped me rethink cross-cultural teaching/ministry and how it should be done, while Catch 22 helps me think through why we (people) do anything at all. I don't want to give anything away just in case, but if you're taking a stand or asking why you even try the end (of C 22) can come in handy. It worked for me,anyway.

Of course, if you don't enjoy fiction you can skip this review entirely. Of course, you just read it so you really can't. Or can you?

No comments: