Saturday, July 25, 2009

Review: Food and Drink

Trying something new here. In making the most of our time in the US, I decided to sample some of the best American cuisine has to offer. a) Yay, I spelled cuisine right without spellcheck!

or b) Oops.

Choose whichever one applies.

Anyway, here are my thoughs on some of the best...yeah, I already said that.

1. Wendy's Asian chicken. If you're a friend on Facebook, you may have already seen my initial thought on the latest this restaurant has to offer in the way of fine dining. It's called sweet and spicy, and I found the first to be true, but not so much the second. Of course, much of Korean food I'm used to is hotter than Hades, so consider the source.

I was impressed at the portions, in that they were enough for just one person. I like this, since Beka and I realized "happy meal" is the ideal meal size for us when visiting the US. The toys are fun, too, but that's not the point. Gee whiz, America. Go on a diet. That's the point. Yeah.

2. Pizza Hut's pzones. Yummy, but tooooo muuuuch fooood. America, see previous statment about portion sizes and diets. I'm very dissappointed in you.

3. Energy drinks. Also known as "liquid crack," these beverages enjoy a lot of popularity and therefore intrigued me. I bought one, cracked it open, and tried a sip. The taste reminded me of carbonated lemon pledge. Somehow I finished it and vowed never to try it again.

A couple of weeks later, I tried it again. This time a different brand, but the taste was still quite distinctively that of dust cleaner. Maybe it was a different brand as well, but that didn't help my taste buds much.

Why would anyone drink something that tastes so horrible? I'm sticking to black coffee.

4. For the sake of argument (and keeping my job) let's say I tried Grape Juice. We were about to enjoy an excellent meal at an equally excellent Itallian restaurant and I thought, "Hey! I'll try me some Grape Juice." Of course, I was quick to point out to the waitress that I don't know one from the other, and having said that, I prepared to close my eyes and point to the menu.

She kindly stopped me and offered to let me tastes different brands of red and white Grape Juice until I decided what I wanted. The effect was having several glasses spread out in front of me, effectively making me look like a juice-o. Honestly, I took small sips. Fine, don't believe me. I'm so fired.

Anyway, my best choices seemed to be between two of the white Grape Juices, as the one red Grape Juice tasted like cough syrup. Unfortunately, I didn't have a cold, so I'm unable to report on its medicinal value. Maybe next time.

I decided to be a good boy in the end and choose the milder and sweeter of the two white Grape Juices. With the food, it wasn't bad.

Would I do it again? Not often, since I'm still a cheapskate. But as a rare treat, it did the trick.

No comments: