Monday, May 12, 2008

Book Review: This Beautiful Mess

This Beautiful Mess, by Rick McKinley, is almost a more concise and practical version of Irresistible Revolution. It's definitely better written, so if you want the "emergent church" perspective and only want to read one book, pick this one.

The biggest differences are that Mr. McKinley didn't focus on political aspects like pacifism, so this book would most likely be less off putting than Revolution.

My favorite part of this book was when he talked about children and how little credit they are given. He said that we shove them into a separate room during church so we won't be distracted from anything important.

As an elementary teacher, this strikes a chord with me. If I hear some one say "I don't know how to make you understand" to our students one more time, I might throw a tantrum of my own. We treat kids like idiots, yet on many levels, they probably understand things better than we do. Unless you humble yourself and become as a child...

Overall, it's a great study on several of the times Jesus mentions the kingdom of God. And it's actually enjoyable to read, but I'd expect that from Donald Miller's pastor.

No comments: