Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Thoughts on Facing Death

What do Star Trek, Albert Camus' The Plague, and unemployment have in common? Not a whole lot, but I'll try to make them fit anyway.

The Plague describes a town cut off from the rest of humanity after the titled situation spreads. Several main characters and the entire town have different responses. The truth is, they are all facing death, whether it occurs or not. The way they face it tells a lot about their character.

One poor dude was just visiting. He wants to escape the quarantined town to reunite with his true love. He later has to decide whether to stay and help the people fight this plague or get smuggled out. He has to choose whether or not to face death.

In Star Trek 2, The Wrath of Khan, we find that Captain Kirk refused to face death. There was a simulation in cadet school that would always result in "death" no matter what choice the cadet made. Captain Kirk rewired the simulation. He cheated. This decision caught up with him later on in life.

On to the metaphorical. I joke about Starbucks and sushi restaurants and all that, but the truth is I'm not afraid of unemployment. I had some rough years after college, where I wanted to work but couldn't find anything, not even those nasty jobs nobody likes.

I cleaned the house, gathered firewood, and watched more VH1 and reruns of Growing Pains than I care to admit. (I love the 80s, by the way.) It was mind-numbing, humbling, and in a way a lot like facing death.

Individuals, especially in Western society define themselves by their jobs. So to define yourself as a janitor or burger-flipper is embarassing. To define yourself as nothing is tragic. If it's not seen as death, it's probably worse.

I wouldn't wish unemployment on anyone, but I've met my share of Captain Kirks. The thought of living without a job is terrifying. Like the visitor from the Plague,we'd do anything to escape it.

How much more could God do through us if we tossed the fear aside and just followed Him?

No comments: