Thursday, May 8, 2008

Global Warming, Spiritual Maturity, and Aesop

I saw a commercial on the Discovery Channel before I took the dog for a walk. It was saying something about garbage, and how people are using its previously unknown potential for energy. The commercial, I mean. Not the dog. I haven't taught her that trick yet.

Anyway, on the commercial a guy was saying something to the effect of "people don't realize what they have." It reminded me of pollution and global warming, and how we don't see problems until they're big enough to swallow us in one bite. Like the spare room in my apartment.

Beka and I bought a new bookcase from some neighbors. We moved things around, and she had to go to the spare room to get some things. This proved quite a task since the room was full of boxes. The job changed to reorganizing the room and effectively took another hour from our precious week night downtime. It got a little big for my tastes.

Little messes build up until they're too big. It reminds me of global warming, the world, and spirituality.

I recently mused about how the old grasshopper and the ant story could be spiritually useful. When times are good, we never prepare ourselves for the attacks that come quite punctually and inevitably. We'd rather strut down the sidewalk to "Staying Alive" until severe temptation, emotional distress, or a car hits. Then we pray.

I remember someone telling me about integrity, and how it's about the little things.
I don't remember who it was, but I want to thank him. I'm pretty sure it was a him.
The quirk is, no one seems to care about little things. We almost seem to want everything to build up so we can be brave and heroic when it flattens us.

Deal with problems when they're small. It seems so simple yet impossible to do.

No comments: